Divigel® is easy to use. Learn how to apply, what to know before you start, and the answers to some common questions.
Dosing Options & Efficacy
Every woman’s degree of hot flash symptoms is different. One dose will not fit all. That’s why Divigel® comes in five dose strengths including the lowest effective FDA-approved dose of transdermal estradiol gel or spray available.1 Your doctor will determine which dose strength is best for your individual needs.
Use estrogen-alone, or in combination with progestin, at the lowest effective dose and for the shortest duration consistent with treatment goals and risks for the individual woman.
Simple Steps for Applying Divigel® Daily
Divigel® is a concentrated gel applied to a small area on the upper thigh. Choose a convenient time to apply Divigel® each day that is easy to remember. For example, apply after your morning shower or before bed so it becomes part of your daily personal care routine.
- Before applying Divigel®, be certain that your upper thigh is clean and dry, and has no cuts or scrapes.
- Open the packet and squeeze the entire contents onto your upper thigh.
- Rub the gel on your upper thigh over an area about the size of your two palms or a 5 x 7 photograph.
- Alternate between your left and right thigh each day. (Try this: apply to right thigh on odd days and left thigh on even days of the month.)
- After applying Divigel®, dispose of the packet and wash hands immediately to remove any remaining gel.
- Let dry completely before dressing. There is a potential risk for transdermal transmission of estradiol in Divigel® to another individual. To reduce the chance of transfer to another person, let the Divigel® dry and wash your hands before your thigh or hands touch someone else.
- Wait at least one hour before swimming or bathing.
If You Miss A Dose
Sometimes the stresses of life get in the way, and you miss a dose of Divigel®. If you miss a dose of Divigel® it is important to determine how many hours have passed since you should have taken your dose. Use the chart at the right to decide what to do if you forgot to apply a dose of Divigel®.
Do not apply Divigel® more than once each day. If you miss a dose, do not double the dose on the next day to catch up.
1. Orange Book: Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic equivalence Evaluations. U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Accessed February 13, 2020. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/search_product.cfm